When I called my local health food store to ask for cheap cuts of pasture raised animals in this post, they offered me lamb necks for $1.99 lb. I decided to order the lamb necks and figure out what to do with them later. Upon a google search, I found that most recipes for lamb neck were coated in flour and served over rice or white potatoes. I decided to put together my own braised lamb neck recipe right then and there. It turned out spectacularly delicious. I am sharing it tonight in hopes that you will find it to be just as good.
Slow Cooker Braised Lamb Necks
2 lamb necks
2 tbsp ghee
1/2 cup sliced carrots
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic (crushed but not minced)
1 can of tomato paste (6 ounces)
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
4 springs thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1) Melt ghee in a skillet and brown the lamb necks. You want them to get a caramelized colour. This will help them hold in their flavour.
2) Add the veggies to the same pan to brown them in the ghee and lamb drippings.
3) Remove the meat and place in the crock pot. Continue to brown the veggies for about 4-5 minutes.
4) Add Veggies to crock pot, along with chicken stock and tomato paste. Season with salt, pepper and thyme.
6) Serve over mashed cauliflower and enjoy!!
This was a huge hit! Even the non-paleo neighbor liked it. 🙂 Best part is the whole crock pot full cost me less than $8. I call that a win.